Monday, September 7, 2009

head's up: this post is not about john

i know i know, this is john's blog. i blogged about him last time and i'll do it again next time. but right now, ...this weekend, ... i have something else to say. and, in a way, it does tie in to his illness. it ties in in the way that his illness has taught me what's important. brought it to a head. a clear focus. i notice more now. now i live life more, ... aware. conscious.
let me tie it all in.

so this weekend i was laboring, ha, on labor day weekend. three days of cleaning, gleaning, organizing, throwing things away, getting things ready for donation, etc.

here's what was brought to my attention: life speeds past me whether i like it or not.

here's what brought that to my attention:

  • donating the baby monitors
  • throwing away the fat crayons, the kind that toddlers use
  • donating the baby blankets
  • sitting on my porch and looking out over a sea of adult sized bikes in the yard. not a training wheel or kid bike in sight
  • receiving the letter that told me what 'homeroom' isaiah would be in on wednesday
  • taking down the winnie the pooh decorations and planning to put up sports ones
  • getting rid of the tubby toys
  • noah saying, 'we could probably get rid of half of what's in that toy box, we don't really play with those anymore'

i didn't think i could take one more 'grown up' thing and then mary brings me her dora the explorer blanket and says, 'you can donate this. i don't need it anymore. i don't like dora now that i'm older'.

i was just about to fall into a pool of 'parent of tween' despair when she added, ...'it'd be diffferent if it was like, ...holly hobby. holly hobby is waaaaay more grown up.'

phew! i just about did a happy jig. =)

k

ps: john's working a 14 hour shift today. please pray for strength. he is feeling weak and is due to start a second round of parasite cleanse tomorrow.

1 comment:

Still Learning said...

They grow fast don't they? I've got one graduating this school year and one that won't start Pre-K for two more years and two more kiddies inbetween, lol. I know the feeling when you start throwing out the kid stuff and the begin to move on to adulthood. Tough sometimes.

I've begun asking my church to pray for your family. We pray specifically for you guys on Sunday and Wednesday evenings. We are rooting for you down here in GA!